COMPUTER NETWORKS Notes
Computer networks notes – UNIT I
Introduction to networks, internet, protocols and standards, the OSI model, layers in OSI model, TCP/IP suite, Addressing, Analog and digital signals.
Physical Layer: digital transmission, multiplexing, transmission media. circuit switched networks. Datagram networks. virtual circuit networks, switch and Telephone network.
Data link layer: Introduction, Block coding, cyclic codes, chccksum, framing, flow and error control, Noiseless channels, noisy channels, HDLC, point to point protocols
Medium Access sub layer: Random access, controlled access, channelization. IEEE standards. Ethernet. Fast Ethernet, Giga-Bit Ethernet, wireless LANs.
Connecting LANs, backbone networks and virtual LANs, Wireless WANs, SONET, frame relay and ATM.
Network Layer: Logical addressing, internetworking, tunneling, address mapping, ICMP, IGMP, forwarding, uni-cast routing protocols, multicast routing protocols.
Transport Layer: Process to process delivery, UDP and TCP protocols, SCTP, data traffic, congestion, congestion control. QoS. integrated services, differentiated services. QoS in switched networks.
Application Layer — Domain name space, DNS in intcrnet, electronic mail, FTP, WWW, HTTP, SNMP, multi-media, network security
- Data Communications and Networking — Behrouz A. Forouzan. Fourth Edition TMH,2006.
- Computer Networks Andrew S Tanenbaum, 4th Edition, Pearson Education.
- An Engineering Approach to Computer Networks-S.Keshav,2nd Edition,Pears0n Education
- Understanding communications and Net’works,3rd Edition, W.A.Shay,Cengage Learning.
- Computer and Communication Networks ,Nader F. Mir, Pearson Education
- Computer Networking:A’l‘op-Down Approach Featuring the Internet. James F.Kurose,K.W.Ross,3“’ Edition,Pearson Education.
- Data and Computer C0mmunications,GtS.Hura and M.Singhal,CRC Press,Taylor and Francis Group.
- Data communications and computer Networks,P.C.Gupta,PHI.