Management Science Notes
Management Science Notes – MS Notes – MS Pdf Notes
Introduction to Management: Entrepreneurship and organization- Nature and Importance of Management, Functions of Management, Taylor’s Scientific Management Theory, Fayol’s Principles of Management, Maslow’s Theory of Human Needs, Douglas McGregor’s Theory X and Theory Y, Herzberg’s Two-Factor Theory of Motivation, Systems Approach to Management, Leadership Styles, Social responsibilities of Management.
Designing Organisational Structures: – Departmentation and Decentralisation, Types of organization structures -Line organization, Line and staff organization, functional organization, Committee organization, matrix organization, Virtual Organisation, Cellular Organisation, team structure, boundaryless organization, inverted pyramid structure, lean and flat organization structure) and their merits, demerits and suitability.
Operations Management: Principles and Types of Plant Layout-Methods of production (Job, batch and Mass Production), Work Study -Basic procedure involved in Method Study and Work Measurement-Statistical Quality Control: chart, R chart, c chart, p chart, (simple Problems), Acceptance Sampling, Deming’s contribution to quality.
- A) Materials Management: Objectives, Need for Inventory control, EOQ, ABC Analysis, Purchase Procedure, Stores Management and Stores Records – Supply Chain Management
- B) Marketing: Functions of Marketing, Marketing Mix, Marketing Strategies based on Product Life Cycle., Channels of distribution.
Human Resources Management (HRM): Concepts of HRM, HRD and Personnel Management and Industrial Relations (PMIR), HRM vs. PMIR, Basic functions of HR Manager: Manpower planning, Recruitment, Selection, Training and Development, Placement, Wage and Salary Administration, Promotion, Transfer, Separation, Performance Appraisal, Grievance Handling and Welfare Administration, Job Evaluation and Merit Rating.
Unit VI: MANAGEMENT SCIENCE Notes
Project Management (PERT/CPM): Network Analysis, Programme Evaluation and Review Technique (PERT), Critical Path Method (CPM), Identifying critical path, Probability of Completing the project within given time, Project Cost Analysis, Project Crashing. (simple problems)
Unit VII: MANAGEMENT SCIENCE Notes
Strategic Management: Mission, Goals, Objectives, Policy, Strategy, Programmes, Elements of Corporate Planning Process, Environmental Scanning, SWOT Analysis, Steps in Strategy Formulation and Implementation, Generic Strategy alternatives.
Unit VIII: MANAGEMENT SCIENCE Notes
Contemporary Management Practices: Basic concepts of Just-In-Time (JIT) System, Total Quality Management (TQM), Six sigma and Capability Maturity Model (CMM) Levels, Value Chain Analysis,Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), Performance Management, Business Process outsourcing (BPO), Business Process Re-engineering and Bench Marking, Balanced Score Card.
- Aryasri: Management Science, TMH, New Delhi.
- Kotler Philip & Keller Kevin Lane: Marketing Mangement 12/e, PHI, 2007
- Koontz & Weihrich: Essentials of Management, 6/e, TMH, 2007
- Thomas N.Duening & John M.Ivancevich Management—Principles and Guidelines, Biztantra,2007.
- Kanishka Bedi, Production and Operations Management, Oxford University Press, 2007.
- Memoria & S.V.Ganker, Personnel Management, Himalaya, 25/e, 2007
- Schermerhorn: Management, Wiley, 2007.
- Parnell: Strategic Management, Biztantra,20073.
- L.S.Srinath: PERT/CPM,Affiliated East-West Press, 2007.
To familiarize with the process of management and to provide basic insights into select contemporary management practices.