Here you can download the free lecture Notes of Digital Communication Pdf Notes – DC Notes Pdf materials with multiple file links to download. The Digital Communication Notes Pdf (DC Notes) book starts with the topics covering Model of Digital Communication Systems, PCM Generation and Reconstruction, ASK Modulator. Coherent ASK Detector, Baseband transmission and Optimal Reception of Digital Signal, Information and entropy, Matrix description of Linear Block Codes, Convolution Codes: Encoding, Spread Spectrum Modulation Etc.
Digital Communication Pdf Notes – DC Notes
Elements of Digital Communication Systems: Model of Digital Communication Systems. Digital Representation of Analog Signal, Certain issues in Digital Transmission. Advantages of Digital Communication Systems, Bandwidth-SIN tradeoff. Hartley Shanon Law, Sampling Theorem
Lecture notes 1
Pulse Code Modulation: PCM Generation and Reconstruction, Quantization noise, Non uniform Quantization and Companding, DPCM, Adaptive DPCM. DM and Adaptive DM, Noise in PCM and DM.
Lecture notes 2
Digital Modulation Techniques: Introduction, ASK,ASK Modulator. Coherent ASK Detector, No n-Coherent ASK Detector, PSK, Bandwidth and Frequency Spectrum of FSK. Non coherent FSK Detector, Coherent FSK Detector, PSK Detection Using PLL, BPSK, Coherent PSK Detection. QPSK, Differential PSK.
Lecture notes 3
Baseband transmission and Optimal Reception of Digital Signal: Pulse shaping for optimum transmissions, ABaseband Signal Receiver, Probability of Error, Optimum Receiver, optimal of Coherent Reception, Signal Space Representation and Probability of Error, eye diagrams, Cross talk.
Digital Communication Notes Pdf (DC)
Lecture notes 4
Information Theory: Information and entropy, conditional entropy and redundancy, Shannon Fano coding, Mutual Information, information loss due to noise, source codings – Huffman Code, variable length coding, Source coding to Increase average lnfomtation per bit, Lossy source coding.
Lecture notes 5
Linear Block Codes: Matrix description of Linear Block Codes. Error detection and error Correction capabilities of linear block codes. CyDecoding.
Lecture notes 6
Convolution Codes: Encoding. Decoding using State, tree and trellis diagrams, Decoding using Viterbi algorithm, Comparison of Error Rates in Coded and Uncoded Transmission.
Spread Spectrum Modulation: Use of Spread Spectrum, Direct Sequence Spread Spectrurn(DSSS), Code Division Multiple Access, Ranging using DSSS. Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum, PN – sequences: Generation . and Characteristics. Synchronization in Spread Spectrum Systems
- Principles of communication systems ~ Herbert Taub, Donald L Schiling, Goutam Saha, 3″’ Edition,McGraw-Hill, 2008.
- Digital and Analog Communicaton Systems — Sam Shanmugam, John . Wile;/.2005.
- Digital Communications — John G. Proakis , Masoud salehi – 5″‘ Edition, McGraw-Hill. 2008.
- Digital Communication — Simon I-Iaykin, Jon Wiley, 2005.
- Digital Communications – lan A. Glover. Peter M. Grant, 2″‘ Edition, Pearson Edu., 2008.
- Communication Systems – B.P. Lathi, BS Publication, 2006. clic Codes: Algebraic structure, encoding, syndrome calculation
Frequently asked questions
Q1: What is a digital communication?
A1: It is the process of establishing connection on link between two points. It is the process of conveying message at a distance on the basic process of exchanging information.
Q2: What are the elements of a communication system?
A2: Elements of a communication system:
Communication involves the transmission of information from one point source to another through a succession of process listed below.
- A thought pattern or image is generated in the in the mind of an originator
- Description of that image with a certain measure of precision, by a set of oral or visual symbols
- Symbols need to be encoded in a particular form which is suitable for transmission over a physical medium
- Original symbols will be decoded and reproduced
- With the definable degradation in quality, the original thought pattern is recreated in the mind of a recipient.
Q3: What are analog and digital communication?
A3: Depending upon the message signal, communication can be classified as two types.
- Analog communication – The message or information to be transmitted is analog in nature. The analog message signal modulated a high frequency carrier to produce modulated signal
- Digital communication – The transmitted message signal is digital in nature.
Q4: What are the problems in communication channel?
A4: Some of the problems in communication channel are
- Signal attenuation: Attenuation in channel occurs due to the internal resistance of channel and fading of the signal
- Amplitude and phase distortion: The transmitted signal is distorted in amplitude and phase due to non linear characteristics of the channel
- Additive noise interference: Interference is produced due to internal solid state devices
- Multipath distortion: Multipath distortion occurs mostly in wireless communication channels